We've noticed that comments submitted from Apple Safari (Mac or iPhone) are dropped without any notification if the blog is set with Comment location = Embedded. Having set it to Pop up (I think), it worked. We're going to try some more tests. That's what this post is for!
Using Comment location = Pop up or Full page:
From the comments testing we discovered some useful things:
- Using Comment location = embedded:
- Is necessary to enable replying to specific comments.
- Comments posted from Safari (laptop or iOS) are silently dropped. It looks to the person posting the comment that it went through, but the blog moderator sees no sign of it at all.
- Inhibits option to reply to other comments – no comment threads
- Enables comments from Safari
The trade-off is clear. Losing comments from people who think they submitted them successfully is not acceptable. Particularly from a prominent browser (currently estimated to be a bit less than 4% of users). I just hate to lose comment threading – it's essential to organized conversations – but it's much worse to not see someone's comment when they expect that I will (and did). So, bye-bye comment threads.
I hope Blogger (Google) fixes this.