This is posting #3 of a camping and bicycling trip I took with some friends through the Finger Lakes region of upper-state New York. Here's the complete set of postings:
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Overview and preliminary travel, Sunday, Monday June 2, 3
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Tuesday, June 4
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Wednesday, June 5 - small incident, no biking ⇐ You are here
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Thursday, June 6
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Friday, June 7 - campsite transition, no biking
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Saturday, June 8
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Sunday, June 9
- Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Trip Wrap-Up
To return to Watkins Glen State Park (where we set up my tent two days before), Ash and I drove our respective cars around the far side of Keuka Lake. We aimed to to see the sights along the way. I was looking forward to visiting the Glen H. Curtis Museum, near the southern end of the lake, but wound up being sidetracked, by accidentally lodging my car in a drainage ditch at the far edge of the road shoulder.
I had pulled over to the shoulder after some unusual roads and just beyond a downhill blind curve, to wait for Ash. I didn't see the overgrown deep drainage ditch right at the edge of the shoulder, and a slight, continuing rain plus some mud meant my car had insufficient traction to get out. Fortunately, my Geico insurance covers such mishaps (and their app makes it easy - yay, Geico!), and within a few hours I was back on my way. (The towing company took a long time to show, twice because the truck they sent the first time was the wrong one for the task. So it took a while, but at no monetary cost to me.) A little reminder that surprises abound, plans change...
Finger Lakes 2019-06 Biking: Tuesday, June 4